Monday, 30 March 2015

Classics Spin #9

The Classics Club are hosting a 'Spin'.  On Monday 6th April, the Classics Club will post a number from 1-20, and the challenge is to read that book by Friday May 15th (kind of a bookish roulette).
I've followed the categories for the Spin to make it more interesting.  You can also follow the challenge on Twitter with #ccspin

Here is my list, with a brief explanation for each:

Five you are dreading/hesitant to read:

1. Updike, John: Rabbit, Run (I started this book but I couldn't get into it, 2-5 seem upsetting)
2. Atwood, Margaret: A Handmaid’s Tale 
3. Dostoevesky, Fyodor: The Idiot 
4. Eliot, George: Silas Marner
5. Salinger, J.D.: The Catcher in the Rye

Five you can’t WAIT to read:


6.Hesse, Hermann: Siddhartha (I studied Indian philosophy, so I feel I should have read this)
7. Kesey, Ken: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Really enjoyed the film)
8. Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca (Reading mostly for my own novel)
9. Austen, Jane: Emma (Rave reviews)
10. Tolkien, J.R.R.: The Lord of the Rings (This needs to explanation, just need to finish Bk 3)

Five you are neutral about:


11. Yates, Richard: Revolutionary Road (I've read Yates before but wasn't wowed)
12. Lee, Laurie: Cider With Rosie
13. Vonnegut, Kurt: Breakfast of Champions 
14. Wharton, Edith: The House of Mirth 
15. Proust, Marcel: Swann’s Way (This should be higher as Ralph Fiennes' Desert Island Book)

Five free choice:


16. Steinbeck, John: Grapes of Wrath (These all seem like great books, not too long either)
17. Kerouac, Jack: On the Road 
18. James, Henry: Turn of the Screw
19. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited
20. Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations

16 comments:

  1. The House of Mirth is one of my absolute favourite books!!! I just finished On The Road and couldn't stand it but I did love Kerouac's The Dharma Bums, so if you end up not liking On The Road, check that one out. I hope you have a great spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that's promising with the House of Mirth! I saw your recommendation on Jason C's blog for The Dharma Bums, it looks great and like it would go well with Siddhartha. I hope you a great spin too!! :-) Thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck if you get the Proust! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I will need it! You too! Our lists share a lot of authors :-)

      Delete
  3. The House of Mirth is one of my favorite books. :) Lots of great picks here! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I tried leaving a comment on your blog but I couldn't find the button! Good luck with your exams, The History Boys looks like it would be a good read for you, lots of positivity! xx

      Delete
  4. Ah...just did a re-read of Grapes of Wrath last year--one of the very best books ever written/published, in my opinion. Try to get an edition with a really long foreword (48 pages or so) written by a Steinbeck expert--the details are so very interesting as to how he completed 10 years' of research and actually wrote the book in such a short time period, but was physically and emotionally spent (and ill) afterward! Such dedication!! Many of yours are on my TBR list as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I never knew that! I'm not surprised it made him ill with all that hard work... I will be sure to keep an eye out for a good intro, thanks for the advice! Hope you have a good spin, your list looks really good, esp. #11 I forgot all about that!!

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying seeing how everyone is making the Spin work for them. All the individual approaches make for an interesting blog hopping experience :-)

    I hope you get the Wharton then you can also join in my Wharton Review in May !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's very true! I hope so too! Thanks for visiting, I hope your Wharton Review goes well I will be sure to check it out :-)

      Delete
  6. A very nice list, indeed! I've read at least one thing from every section with Austen and Dickens being favorites. I've only read Revolutionary Road by Yates and loved it. Which of his books didn't wow you? I hope you enjoy whatever book you end up reading! -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are very well read! I've yet to read Dickens or Austen; I read The Easter Parade. It was OK but I saw a lot of reviews after saying that this was his worst book. I hope you enjoy your book too - thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  7. I also loved House of Mirth. Wharton is one of my favorite writers, and I think this is her very best novel. It made me into a huge fan. The Grapes of Wrath is also excellent, also Great Expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just bought House of Mirth on my holiday so hopefully I get to enjoy it soon! I started Great Expectations but I got distracted with other novels for a few years... How did your spin go?

      Delete
  8. You've got some great books on your list! I loved Grapes of Wrath. The House of Mirth is on my list, too. Why are you dreading The Handmaid's Tale? It was my intro to Atwood, and I've loved her ever since (although I like her later books better). I hope the Spin treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hoping to read them two along with Emma soon. Funnily enough that is my spin choice! I don't really like books with abuse to women in them, I was about 75% through The Gate to Women's Country but I found it revolting. I will give it a fair try though. I hope you enjoy your spin choice too of Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe! You have a beautiful blog!

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.