Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: To Be Read


The Broke and the Bookish hold a weekly meme.  Every Tuesday you write a list of their top ten on a given topic.  This week, the list is your 'TBR' (To Be Read) list.  Here are my books:

1. Mort by Terry Pratchett - a classic Discworld novel, everyone loves the character Death so I would like to get to know him.

The Gream Reaper riding a white horse


2. Still Alice by Lisa Genova - this is the story of 50 year old who is diagnosed with early onset dementia; it looks an insightful read on a topic rarely covered.

Still Alice, The million-copy bestseller


3. Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime by Val McDermid - this is offers a us a short history of the science used by the police behind-the-scenes.

White background with only a fly on it


4. Emma by Jane Austen - there have been a lot of talk about Emma recently, mainly that this is the best Jane Austen novel so it looks like a great place to start.

Whimsical print, sort of floral, fruity


5. The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz - this is a Sherlock Holmes novel, which I was lucky enough to get for the Ninja Book Swap. I love Sherlock so I will be very happy when I get around to reading this.

Ghostly outline of an Edwardian house


6. Go Set a Watchmen by Harper Lee - I really enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, so I can't wait to find out what Scout is up to now.

US cover


7. Maurice by E.M. Forster - again, like Emma, there have been a lot of good reviews recently.

Two men sit close together on a bench, not speaking & looking outwards


8. The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson - this is a YA novel about a transgender main character, this is something I've not read before so I'm curious to find out more.

A cartoon girl comes out of the middle of a cartoon boy


9. Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett - I took a quiz to see what character I am most like, apparently Lord Vetanari, (a.k.a. a benevolent dictator... a nice bossy person?) and this seems like the best place to begin learning more about Lord Vetanari.

A dragon sets a city on fire


10. A Field Guide to Awkward Silences by Alexandra Petri - a collection of essays on being socially awkward, based on true life and lots of unusual life experience.  Seems to be an inspiring read.

A girl in colourful socks plays an accordion

So, that's my list... what do you think?  What is on your own TBR list?

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic list - a couple I'm nabbing for my to read pile! I really hope you enjoy the Pratchett books, you've got two of my favourites in there. Lord Vetanari is fantastic and there is no character like Death in any others books I've ever read. I adore him. Can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope I love Pratchett too, there is a wonderful hardback collection out so there's no reason not to buy them. Thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.