Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Easter Book Haul





 Maurice by E.M. Forster – Lyme Regis holiday buy
This book is on my LGBT Reading Challenge, so far it is an excellent.  I was reading The Humans by Matt Haig however I was struggling to get into it (I think I found it a bit repetitive after reading Reasons to Stay Alive).  I started reading this almost straight after I bought it a second hand bookstore in Lyme Regis.  I sat out in the sun and have been struggling to put it down (very unwise, I now have slight sunburn…).  In fact, I reckon by the time this post is up I would probably have finished it.  I really enjoyed A Room with a View so I will definitely be looking out for more works by E.M. Forster.



The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton – Lyme Regis holiday buy
Everyone seems to be a massive fan of this, especially the followers of the Classics Club! I only have a copy of The Age of Innocence (TBR) and so I wanted to have The House of Mirth on hand ready when I had a time to read it.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro – Sidmouth holiday buy
I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go, and so this seemed like the next natural step.  

White Tiger by Zadie Smith – Sidmouth holiday buy
There is heavy praise for Zadie Smith - she is called a literary titan by fellow authors.  Admittedly this is more of what I call a ‘pop-culture’ buy.

Mort by Terry Pratchett
This is my birthday present from me-to-me.  I really enjoyed Diggers growing up and I want to read the Discworld books in (some) order.  I am hoping to collect the hardback collection too.  The next one on the cards is Guards! Guards! or perhaps Wyrd Sisters.

Disclaimer by Renée Knight
I was very lucky to win this in a book giveaway on Twitter from Transworld publishers.  There have been lots of rave reviews on blogs so it looks good.

The Happy Reader by Penguin
The Happy Reader is a seasonal magazine produced by Penguin; it has two parts: an extensive interview and an extensive book feature.  They are super enjoyable and produced to a high quality.  They also comes with a handsome bookmark.



I also have four ‘late’ additions:
Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett
This is a birthday gift from my father.  I was also able to pick up double points at Waterstones as part of birthday week – although I missed the opportunity to pick up my free Krispy Kreme (I need a Krispy Kreme to cheer me up now…).

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Maisie Williams mentioned this book in an interview and it certainly seems interesting.  I saw this in a charity shop in Chester and used my birthday money from my Gran (thanks Gran!).

And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks by Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs

I bought this along with Tuesdays with Morrie; the blurb intrigued me.  It is semi-autobiographical as the main characters run into trouble with the police over their connection with a murder, like Kerouac and Burroughs.  I am still keeping an eye out for The Dharma Bums.

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick
I was super lucky to be able to get this 'eGalley' for review.  Matthew Quick wrote The Silver Linings Playbook and this book follows a few lost souls.  It definitely sounds good!

Have you read any of these books?  Any other subscribers to The Happy Reader or another similar magazine?  What books have you bought this Easter?

3 comments:

  1. "Wyrd Sisters" was the first Terry Pratchett book I ever read! Oh, it amused me endlessly. I should read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mort was my first one, it was super fun; I haven't gotten around to Wyrd Sisters yet though. Do you have an all time favourite? :-)

      Delete
    2. Have to admit I've only read 3 or 4 of them so far. Wyrd Sisters has been my favorite thus far! The one based on The Phantom of the Opera was fun too -- title is escaping me right now.

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.