Wednesday, 8 April 2015

The Sign Of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Sign Of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

The Sign of Four is the second Sherlock Holmes novel.  It centres around a young Miss Mary Morstan who is looking for help to find her father.  He has been missing for several years, but recently she has been receiving rare pearls from a mysterious benefactor.  Now Miss Morstan has a note requesting her presence if she wants to find out what happens to her father.

I really enjoyed the first Sherlock Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet so it was little surprise that I loved this one too.  What I mostly enjoy is the unique voice that ‘Dr Watson’ provides in his narration.  It has a lovely flow and it made me pay attention to every single word.  This is one of the few books I have read in a day.  Some aspects of the crime I found predictable but overall I enjoyed ‘the chase’.

It will be interesting reading further books in the series to see whether it has the same template where nothing happens, there is a crime, Sherlock goes off doing detective work, they chase the criminal, capture them and then the criminal gives his side of events.

Original Publication: 1890
Pages: 224
Publisher: BBC Books
Edition Published: 2012
Cover:
Sherlock stands in an intimidating way, Dr Watson stands behind him, waiting



3 comments:

  1. While "The Hound of the Baskervilles" is my favorite Holmes novel, both this and "A Study in Scarlet" are whopping good fun. Was this the first time you'd read this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very much so; I watched the UK TV series and decided to read the series. That's the next one on my list, so it's good to know you liked it. Conan Doyle has a serious intellect to think of all the obscure clues.

      Delete
    2. Oooh oooh oooh! Yes, I looooove THOTB -- it's so atmospheric and awesome.

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.