Thursday, 7 May 2015

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick (Republished)

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

Rating: 4 stars out of 5 
(This book was really enjoyable)

Matthew Quick wrote Silver Linings Playbook, which was later adapted into a highly-enjoyable award winning film.  I have to say I was really excited when I first saw this book and I couldn’t wait to read it.  If you are fans of The Curious Incident in the Night Time by Mark Haddon, A Song for Issy Bradley by Carys Bray or The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion then it is likely you will enjoy this book.

The Good Luck of Right Now is the letters from the fictional Bartholomew Neil to Richard Gere.  Bartholomew has recently lost his mother and in his letters, explains to Mr Gere what is happening in his life.  His mother provided Bartholomew with a home and was his main source of social contact.  Naturally, for someone so isolated it was a big upheaval in his life.  It is a very endearing tale and is perfect for a lazy weekend.
 
"You are my confidant, Richard Gere, and I'm not about to share my pretending with anyone, because pretending often ends when you allow non pretenders access to the better safer worlds you create for yourself."

There aren’t really any themes per se to this book, although it does discuss bad luck and there are a few interesting facts.  The characters are very well written. The story is engaging and I didn’t find myself bored.  One aspect of the plot was predictable and it turned out Bartholomew himself has similar suspicions.  Overall, this was an enjoyable read. 

Thank you to Pan Macmillian who gave me an eGalley through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. NB: this has been republished because Blogger deleted the original post so comments are missing...

Book Facts
Original Publication: 2014
Pages: 304
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Cover:
Two birds are sitting together

1 comment:

  1. Previous comments from deleted post:

    Jason C.
    I didn't really enjoy this one as much as you. It wasn't terrible or anything, just kinda blah. I know, not exactly the most constructive form of criticism. You can read my review here if interested: http://literaturefrenzy.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-good-luck-of-right-now.html

    Me:
    If I am honest, I rate contemporary differently to classics because, personally, I find that hardly any contemporary stories are groundbreaking, (I'm not sure what word I am looking for but they are kind of formulaic?) so I rate it for how well it fills a lazy afternoon where I don't want to do much. I think it would be unfair to compare this with say Wuthering Heights or The Brothers Karamazov. :) Thank you, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.