Monday, 22 June 2015

June Book Haul

This month has been quite a busy month for the poor postman, although not so busy for reading (or writing those reviews!).  I've not been feeling too great so most of my spare time I've been watching Brendan Gleeson films, Game of Thrones and the Fargo TV series.  Anyway, I thought I could do a book update on all the books I've acquired since my last 'bookdate'.  Have you read any of these?  Apologies for the grainy photos, I need to get an actual camera and also another bookcase (oops)...


The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro: Wordery have kindly given me two copies, one for review and one to giveaway; I super enjoyed Never Let Me Go and having just finished The Buried Giant it is very different to his past works - it feels like a different author in many ways.
Between Gods by Alison Pick: Alison Pick's relatives were victims of the Holocaust; many of her family members died and a few lucky ones escaped to America.  Alison never knew about her Jewish heritage, her father was taken to church as her grandparents hid the fact that they were Jewish.  This is Alison's story of her discovering her Jewish history and religion.  I really really wanted this book, so needless to say I was pleased when I managed to get a copy through bookbridgr.
A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman: Sarah Winman wrote When God was a Rabbit, which has been sitting neglected on my shelf since it came out.  Winman's new book is about a 90 year old woman living in Cornwall waiting for something and has had a lot of rave reviews.  I've been very lucky to get an ARC through bookbridgr.
Imagination and a Pile of Junk by Trevor Norton: Another one from bookbridgr.  I really love QI and in this book Norton goes over the history of all the inventions in a readable format.  My favourite way to start a sentence is "Did you know..." so hopefully this will add to my mine of random information.  (Do you have a favourite "Did you know..."?)


A massive thanks to Suze @ the Lavender Librarian for the huge pile of books I won in her giveaway; I also received a lovely owl mug and notebook!  Most of the books I picked were on various reading challenges, these are:
Ways of Seeing by John Berger
The Establishment by Owen Jones: these two were on my Top Ten Tuesday books to expand the mind.
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen: this is on my Mental Illness Advocacy Challenge and is a memoir of an 18 year-olds time in a psychiatric ward.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: everyone is loving this book in the blogosphere and I do love a good fantasy!
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak: Zusak's first book The Book Thief is one of my all time favourites so it is about time I read another of his books.
Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín: I've read books by authors from Russia, Argentina, Colombia, Australia, USA and Britain but I've yet to read a book by an Irish author!!  I've been thinking of getting a world map and sticking a pin/sticker on every continent from every country that I've read and work my way around the world.
Thanks again to the lovely and generous Suze!


From the library:
On Writing by Stephen King: I've just finished this, it was a great informative read so a review should be up shortly.
The Naked Civil Servant by Quentin Crisp
I also managed to pick up a few second hand books in Tewkesbury:
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (for the LGBT Reading challenge)
Our Language by Simeon Potter
Lord Jim by Joesph Conrad, thanks to Nancy for the recommendation! 
The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse

I also bought three things to help with the blogging:
1. A new Leuchtturm1917 squared notebook!  I've usually used Moleskines and various inceptions of Filofaxes (e.g. Clipbook/Notebook and Filoflex) but I feel like a change and the reviews seem great.  This notebook is going to be used as my diary using the bullet journal system.  If anyone wants reviews of the Filofaxes etc. then let me know!
2. How to Read a Book by Adler & Van Doren: hopefully this will help make my reviews better.
3. A Lamy Safari pen!  I've tried Parker fountain pens but my handwriting is awful but the Lamy is really easy to write with.  I normally write in Parker ballpoint but I feel like a change; I have a tremor in my hands so I have to grip hard in order to write and this ends up with the cheap pens having a split barrel!  I also bought some green ink so I can feel like I've been to Scribbulus Writing Implements on Diagon Alley.

 BCBC

eBooks
I had a coupon for kindle eBooks and Don Quixote by Cervantes has been creeping up a lot, so when I saw the Vintage one on sale I snapped it up.
Freedom to Fail: Heidegger's Anarchy by Peter Trawny.  It's been ages since I've read a proper philosophy book; this deals with Heidegger's controversial and disputed relationship with the Nazis (FYI, Heidegger had an affair with Hannah Ardent).

So, there's my book haul.  Have you read any of these?  Have any recommendations?  What's your favourite book from your book haul?


twitter  |  facebook  |  goodreads  |  bloglovin 

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued: what's the bullet journal system? I love the idea of writing a journal but I don't have the discipline for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of a symbol code, so next to what you put into your diary you put in a given symbol e.g. event, appointment etc. to make it easier and then you 'migrate' tasks which you haven't finished. I don't have much discipline either that's why I ended up with so many abandoned diary systems.

      There's a video by the 'founder' that explains it here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfRf43JTqY4&ab_channel=RyderCarroll

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.