Tuesday, 9 June 2015

TTT: Anticipated Releases (and TV show conversions!)

Ok, so each week The Broke and The Bookish provides a topic for a Top Ten List.  I'm struggling with this weeks topic 'Most Anticipated Releases for the Rest of 2015'.  The reason being, I'm not one for pre-ordering books and I like to read reviews first.  Because I missed last weeks Top Ten Tuesday,  this TTT is going to be split into between five most anticipated releases and last weeks topic of five books I'd love to see as a movie/TV show.  Are there any additions you'd like to add? I'd love to hear from you :-)

Five Most Anticipated Releases for the Rest of 2015

1. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee.  A book that needs no introduction.  The last time I* pre-ordered a book was for the Harry Potter series.  *That was actually my father who paid and queued up outside WH Smith!

2. The Winds of Winter by George R. R. Martin.  Apparently this should be published before mid 2016.  If I am honest, I haven't finished the current set of books (next to read is #4 A Feast for Crows) but I love reading the spoilers on asoiaf wikia...


3. The Reasons for Flowers by Stephen Buchmann. I've always been fascinated by the Victorians who were big on the symbolism of flowers, my father is also a gardener and so I'm really excited to learn more about flowers.  This covers everything from food to medicine and more.

4. The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett.  I have only just started on the Discworld novels and I think I will save this one for last.

5. Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz.  This book continues the James Bond saga and I've a sudden interest in James Bond (which has nothing to do with Christoph Waltz being in the new JB film...).


Five Books I'd Love To See A Movies/TV Shows

1. The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall.  A touching story about Stephen, a woman who struggles to be understood and fit into a society forbidding homosexuality.

2. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.  There was a brilliant adaption of Bulgakov's A Country Doctor's Notebook featuring Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm and this is the Bulgakov classic.

3. The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares.  This is, to put it crudely, like the Argentine version of the Matrix.  To say any more would ruin the plot but it is a philosophical thought-provoker.

4. The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander.  This follows a Jewish family during the Argentine Dirty War in the 1970s; this book made me cry and what's worse it is shockingly historically accurate.  Not many people know about the Argentine Dirty War and the terrible crimes that were committed including baby snatching which Argentina is still trying to address.  I don't know why this isn't rated higher on GoodReads.

5. The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig.  I think this could be done in an edgy way like Birdman with costuming à la The Great Gatsby.




twitter  |  facebook  |  goodreads  |  bloglovin 

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Go Set A Watchmen. The only reason I didn't add it to my list is because of my level of anxiety.

    Check out my TTT and my Top Ten Favorite Characters Tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that good anxiety for excitement? I hope it isn't a disappointing read anyway, there is a lot of expectation on poor Harper Lee. I'm loving your Character Tag too and your TTT choices!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Mostly good I think... :)

      Delete
  2. Great selections for anticipated book and book as film.
    It shows how your reading interesta are spread over so many different authors and genres.
    Harper and Pratchett: I would like to read Harper's next book and have never started Disco World. I admire both authors: former for finally proving ' she was not just a flash in the pan' and the latter for showing us how to live a full life, even though the veils of memory finally clouded his genius.
    Movies: N. Englander and S. Zweig get my votes.
    After the summer ( reading only French June/July/August) I will settle down to some good English books in front of my warm fireplace in the Fall/Winter. Your reviews provide me with a plethora of stellar choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I try to read as wide as I can, how did you start learning French by the way? I read my first one, Mort, last month it is a great place to start. It doesn't assume any prior knowledge of the Discworld; I think if you will tell if you like the Discworld from that novel anyway. Yes, you're very true about the authors I never thought about it that much before.

    That sounds great, definitely very cosy! Thank you, I love your reviews too and I learn a lot from them too :-) Also, there is a great list called the Well Educated Mind, it's based on an American homeschooling system, but the list is like the Classics Club which might be useful for you? (Link: http://greatbookstudy.blogspot.co.uk/p/books.html) I'm planning on working through it/combining it with my Classics Club but there might be some new ones on there for you if you have any left that is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. French: basic struggling in high-school
    Decided: to learn the language by reading instead of just studying grammer.
    Started: 3 years ago, book, digital dictionary a good dosis of discipine all washed down with a cold Heineken when I finally finished a book!
    Progress: added some new book to 2015 French Summer Reading Plan (M.Kundera, J. Verne, J. Giono).
    Thanks: for link list Well Educated Mind, I'll investigate..
    Humbled: kind words, merci...I hope I can add some insight with my reviews.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a lot of discipline! I love that you had a Heineken to celebrate too :-) I'm hoping to learn German so I might try that, I only know braille which is just a different form of the alphabet and changes to spelling. Have you read Zazie in the Metro? It's meant to be better in French than English because of the meaning of the words.

      You do, you have lots of interesting facts about the authors and a nice clear breakdown of what you liked and didn't like :-)

      Delete
  5. I can't help observing too - what a nice variety! I consider that healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tend to go through phases of Russian, early 20th Century so it balances its self out.

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.