Tuesday, 16 June 2015

TTT: top ten books on my summer tbr list

Ok, so each week The Broke and The Bookish provides a topic for a Top Ten List.  This to be read list is actually going to be helpful for planning what to read during summer so I might check in Autumn (November time) to see how many I ticked off.

Book Cover (BC)

1. The Establishment: And how they get away with it by Owen Jones
Jones looks into how parliament and democracy is actually influenced by the Establishment, an organic group with similar goals of influencing people.  (This is kind of cheating as I have already started reading it but at least I can say in November I read at least one.)

BC

2. Between Gods by Alison Pick
This is a memoir of Alison's coming to terms with her Jewish heritage, trying to reconnect with it and how her family has dealt with the loss of relatives in the Holocaust.

BC

3. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov
I found this book when I was watching The Guard, with Brendan Gleeson (a superb superb actor and film).  It made me really nostalgic for the days when I read nothing but long Russian novels.  I already have a copy on my kindle so I will be, metaphorically, packing my bags on holiday to Russia pretty soon.

BC

4. An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Col. Chris Hadfield
I bought this in May, it is meant to be very inspiring especially for those who have a difficult journey in front of them trying to achieve your life aspirations.  It helps you to value your journey, to strive to do your best and not to be upset if it doesn't work out.  I could really do with a boost right now so this is kind of a 'bibliotherapy' choice.

BC

5. Walden by Henry David Thoreau
My father brought me up with the idea of being self-sufficient (he was brought up on a small-holding/farm) and that has stuck with me, so I think this book may be one of those 'life-changing' ones I will have to wait and see.


6. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
Everyone in the blogosphere who has read this can't recommend it any higher than what they already have

BC

7. Still Alice by Lisa Genova
This is on my Mental Illness Advocacy challenge; it is about a relatively young woman who suffers a disease causing her to slowly loose her memory amongst other things.  Tissues at the ready.

BC

8. Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson 
This is for my LGBT reading challenge which I'm falling behind on; I managed to find a copy and this was the one I'm most excited to read out of the challenge.

BC

9. The Naked Civil Servant by Quentin Crisp
If I am honest, I am thinking about applying to the civil service and this memoir will help give me a better understanding of what it means to be a civil servant (although somethings probably have changed since Crisp's time).

BC

10. No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre
My American pen-pal (hello Andrew!) and I have decided to read Sartre's play No Exit together so this is on my summer tbr.

What are your thoughts on my list? What is on your summer TBR list - any recommendations?  Thanks for reading :-)


twitter  |  facebook  |  goodreads  |  bloglovin 

14 comments:

  1. I promised you a top 10 list...
    I did write up a post about my summer reading plan 2015 on my blog.
    I'm reading only French books for three months. So here is my list:
    1. Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune (G. Leroux) (1907) - read
    2. L'Affaire Lerouge (E. Gaboriau) (1866) - read
    3. Le Chapeau de Mitterand (A. Laurain) (2012)
    4. L' Insoutenable Légèrté de l' être (M. Kundera) (1984)
    5. L' Ile Mystérieuse (J. Verne) (1874)
    6. Que ma joie demeure (J. Giono) (1936)
    7. Gataca (F. Thilliez) (2011)
    8. Dossier 113 (E.Garboriau) (1867)
    9. La Part de Flammes (Gaelle Nohant) 2015
    10. Allouette (D. Kosztolany) ( 2005)

    Comments about your list:
    I have not read one of these books!
    My choices would be Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov, Walden by Thoreau and House of Mirth by E. Wharton. I need to catch up on some classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read any of yours either although I am thinking about reading one by Kundera. He has an English translation of his most recent French one but it's really hard to find out anymore e.g. character names. Does it make it easier reading a series of French novels rather than in one go or does it make no difference?

      Yes I'm falling behind on my classics club list! I keep adding books to my lists and buying them instead of finishing them!

      Delete
  2. I had to read Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit for school and it's pretty fantastic. I hope you enjoy it.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know; it makes it less daunting when you know other people enjoyed the book. Thanks for visiting and I love your gifs on your TTT :-)

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of The Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, but now I've added it to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you enjoy it when you read it, I'd love to read your review! Thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  4. What an interesting list! There are lots of books here that I've been meaning to read for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I will manage to read most of them as they've been sitting on my bookshelves unloved for some time now. Also, wow I can't believe that you met and interviewed Malorie Blackman, her Noughts and Crosses series was one of my favourite when I was in my teens. Thank you for visiting!!

      Delete
  5. I really want to read Still Alice. It's one of those books that has been on my TBR for about three years. Eeeek. The film was so good but still too fresh in my mind to now read the book but I will one day read it!
    Hope you enjoy all the books you read this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I didn't know that the book had been out for so long. I tried to watch it at the cinema but no cinema within a 100 mile radius was showing it (despite the film with the Oscar best male actor being shown!!!). Thank you, I hope you enjoy your summer reads too :-)

      Delete
  6. I need to get around to The House of Mirth too!
    I've been thinking I'd pick up Still Alice. It sounds really interesting... especially for me as a nurse. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-ten-books-on-my-summer-tbr-list.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I keep getting distracted by other books. That's very true, congratulations on your graduation too by the way!! I hope your nursing is going well :-)

      Delete
  7. Great list! I've not read any of these but I have wanted to check out No Exit for a while. Happy reading!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No Exit is quite a short read at around 90 pages but I'd never heard of it before so I'm looking forward. I hope you enjoy your summer tbr too - thanks for visiting Krystianna :-)

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.