Tuesday, 18 August 2015

TTT: Auto-Buy Authors

Each week The Broke and The Bookish provides a topic for a Top Ten List.  I've missed it for several weeks due to university so I'm very glad to be back with my TTT!  This week is authors you automatically buy; I have divided it up into present, past and potential future auto-buys.

Portraits of authors 1-6

Current auto-buys:

1. Colm Tóibín - I was given a copy of Nora Webster in July and since then I haven't looked back!  I just love his writing, it has a very intimate yet subtle feel.

2. Mikhail Bulgakov - I loved The Master and Margarita and the TV series A Young Doctor's Notebook.  Whenever I see his book which I don't have, it's an instant buy.

3. Vladimir Nobokov - Another beautiful writer; to me, Lolita might as well be an epic poem because it is simply so lyrical.  I can't resist buying his books.

4. Fyodor Dostoevsky - His writing is gritty and fearless; if you thought George R.R. Martin was a ruthless character murderer then "you know nothing (Jon Snow)".  Also, I clearly have a thing for Russian writers.

5. Thomas Hardy - I have a bookshelf just full of Hardy stockpiled and waiting to be read.

6. E.M. Forster - I love his writing it's very subtle with both its themes and plot.

Authors 7-10

Childhood auto-buys

7. Jacqueline Wilson - I loved Jacqueline Wilson, her books provided brilliant escapism whilst at the same time, dealing with difficult topics.

8. J.K. Rowling - Like the majority of children, I adored Harry Potter.  I have read a few of Rowling's adult novels and I wasn't really wowed, so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy her books anymore.

9. Darren Shan - I loved The Saga of Darren Shan and The Demonata series.  I was first introduced to him by my English teacher (who ironically declared J.K. Rowling was just a fad who would amount to nothing).

10. Lemony Snicket - I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events so much, the three children were unique and unlike anything I had ever read.  How I would love to lock Count Olaf in a box somewhere!

Potential future auto-buys: 
Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, George Bernard Shaw, Kurt Vonnegut and Iris Murdoch?

Who are your auto-buy authors? 


twitter  |  facebook  |  goodreads  |  bloglovin 


2 comments:

  1. Your picks are so interesting! I might have to check out some of Fyodor D.'s books!
    I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award :) you can find the post here: http://lipstickandmocha.blogspot.com/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html
    I hope you have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you!! I will start finding my 15 bloggers :-)

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.