Tuesday, 29 March 2016

Ten Of My Most Recent 5 Star Reads | Top Ten Tuesday

Each week The Broke and The Bookish provides a topic for a Top Ten List. This week the theme is:

Ten Of My Most Recent 5 Star Reads

I'm not sure about anyone else but whenever I'm asked, 'What have you read recently?' my mind always goes blank. Thank goodness for Goodreads! So... here are my ten books that deserve five stars and more. What are your most recent five star reads? 

Fiction
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett


Plays
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Antigone by Jean Anouilh 

Non-fiction
The Chimp Paradox by Prof. Steve Peters

Audiobooks: Fiction
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene, read by Colin Firth
American Pastoral by Philip Roth, read by Ron Silver

Audiobooks: Non-fiction
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari



10 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to read the Godfather, it's been sitting on my bookshelf forever! Great list :)

    My TTT: http://whenitdoes.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-ive-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great book, especially if you love Game of Thrones, 'political' battles/strategies and spy novels etc. I hope you enjoy it if you get round to reading it :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely look forward to reading Tennessee Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! He creates excellent (and destructive) relationships in Streetcar that are both realistic and in depth. I never really noticed him until Nancy reviewed his biography by John Lahr (which I can't wait to read as well).

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately I haven't read any of the books on your list, they aren't my typical genre, I guess. I'm more of YA reader :) The Godfather really sounds like something I'd be interested in though, I'm sure my parents have a copy of this lying around somewhere.
    Here's my TTT about popular books I rated 1 star

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise with the YA, I should read more though as I enjoyed them in my teens. Yeah, if you like Game of Thrones or thriller/spy novels then this is great. It's definitely worth a read as it's so good! Thanks for commenting, I'll check out your TTT :-)

      Delete
  4. So glad to see Lahr's biography of T. Williams on the list. It was magnificant!
    Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman is definitely on my TBR this year. His books Armenian Sketchbook and A Writer at War really impressed me. Antigone J.Anoulih was masterfully integrated into S. Chalandon's book Le Quatrième Mur. I do hope that will be translated soon into English. Time to take a 'break' from 'impressive books' and spend April reading children's books. Who knows what gems I'll find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on buying Lahr in April but I definitely can't wait to get it. :)
      I've not read them, I must check them out so thanks for mentioning them! Life and Fate is amazing. I found it through Radio 4's adaption featuring Kenneth Branagh, which is worth a listen. I hope it will be translated soon as well (or I can learn a language!)

      Yes, it'll be interesting to see what you're reading! There are some great authors like Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, Jacqueline Wilson, but they are after 1966 :(

      Delete
  5. I've never read The Godfather, but I do love the movie - maybe it's time to see what the original is like! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely worth reading. Happy TTT :)

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.